Bagore Ki Haveli was built by Shri Amar Chand Badwa, who was the Prime Minister of Mewar from 1751 to1778 during the reigns of Maharanas Pratap Singh-II, Raj Singh, Ari Singh and Hamir Singh. After the death of Amar Chand Badwa, the edifice came under the domain of Mewar state royal family. Maharana’s brother Maharaj Nath Singh occupied the Haveli and with that Bagore Thikana became a very important place in the Mewar royal family. The chief of Bagore Thikana was hereafter called Maharaj. Whenever the royal family was left with no male heir to succeed, boys were adopted from Bagore ki Haveli to succeed the Mewar throne.
Four Maharans of Mewar
Between 1828 to 1884, four Maharanas of Mewar namely, Sardar Singh, Swaroop Singh, Shambhu Singh and Sajjan Singh were adopted from Bagore Thikana who had spent their entire childhoyouth playing saying in the numerous chowks & corridors of Bagore ki Haveli. Maharaj Bhim Singh who succeeded Maharaj Nath Singh built the Gangaur Ghat on Lake Pichola, which became the venue of annual Gangaur Festival celebrated in Chaitra (March/April) every year. Maharana Sajjan Singh, (1874-1884) the last one to be adopted from Bagore Thikana, awarded the ownership of Bagore to his father Maharaj Shri Shakti Singh and made him chief of Bagore. In 1878, Maharaj Shakti Singh built the palace with exquisite glass inlay work on the tripolia (three arch gates) at Gangaur Ghat.
After the death of Maharaj Shakti Singh, the Thikana of Bagore was resumed by the Mewar State, since there was no male descendant to succeed Bagore Thikana. Maharana Fateh Singh (1884-1930) declared Bagore ki Haveli ‘Khalsa’ and merged it with the state of Mewar. His successor, Maharana Bhupal Singh (1930-1955), renovated this haveli and converted into grade III Guest House, where royal guests were accommodated. After Independence, the Government of Rajasthan used the building for housing government employees. For nearly 40 years, the Haveli’s condition deteriorated to a deplorable extent without any maintenance during which the damage & neglect went unchecked.
In the year 1986, Government of Rajasthan handed over the historical “ Bagore ki Haveli “ to West Zone Cultural Centre to set up its headquarters. ” Bagore ki Haveli ” is located on the Gangaur Ghat on the banks of Lake Pichola, overlooking Jag Niwas (now hotel Lake Palace) & Jag Mandir.
In 1986, the Government of Rajasthan handed over Bagore ki Haveli to set up its office headquarters. It was a Herculean task to restore Bagore ki Haveli, which has 138 rooms, balconies, courtyards, terraces and numerous corridors. Local traditional material & skills were used to reconstruct & restore this historical building to its pristine glory, taking care to retain its authenticity & vernacular architectural style. After 5 years of strenuous efforts, it is a matter of great satisfaction & pride that WZCC has set up Bagore ki Haveli Museum, which is seen and admired by thousands of tourists from all over the world.